Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Can you beat my Neural Network at Blackjack?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Can you beat my Neural Network at Blackjack?
Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Well, since I never post anything meaningful, I thought I'd show you guys something I made for my final project in Neural Networks at my final year of college. (Keep in mind I hate college, and carry no huge amount of pride in this project.)

Anyways, the basic premise is this. You play blackjack versus a dealer (or optionally, you can watch 2 neural networks duke it out versus the dealer) with a set rule. The dealer will hit if he has less than 17, and stand if he has more than 17, and more than or equal to your total. Player 1 is a reinforcement learning neural network(buzzword!!) that has been trained 10,000 iterations before the game even starts. You play as player 2 and try to keep up.

Knowing the odds of the game of blackjack, this came out pretty interesting really. Maybe its boring to you guys, I mean...its just blackjack.

Oh, and yes, I hand made all the cards...the Queen card has my face on it, and the King card has my partners face on it.

Download here: Blackjack

Screenshot: http://www.zerolust.com/flecko/files/blackjack.png

And YESSS...the source is included. As well as our presentation slides...if you're interested. Anywho, let me know what you guys think of it.

Lastly, no whining abut the download size, the fact that I didn't use packfiles, or that I included the allegro dll. Its 880k, suck it up.

And thanks everyone for keeping the allegro community alive, I love this place.
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

there were a whole bunch of programming errors in it, things like passing NULL instead of 0 for player.hit(), and things like this:

for ( int i = 0; i < 2; i++ ){
}
for ( i = 0; i < 3; i++ ){
}

you only declared i in the first for loop, not the second. For some reason, I have seen a bunch of people doing that. Are you using MSVC? It obviously produces terrible coding practices..

The most notable hack I had to perform was changing

temp=(int) 52 * rand() / (RAND_MAX + 1);

to this
temp = (int)( rand() % 52 );
rand() returns an integer, you dont have to divide it by RAND_MAX or multiply by 52.

[edit]one more important hack, this code

deck = new BITMAP**[13];
for(int i = 0;i<14;i++)

needs to be

deck = new BITMAP**[13];
for(int i = 0;i<13;i++)

After alot of hacking, I eventually got it to run but it locked up after one game. I got tired of debugging so Im not going to try to complete an entire game.

What exactly do you need a "neural network" for? Doesnt the AI just consist of hitting under 17 and staying over 17?

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

>:(

Man, i'm sorry it didn't run well kazzmir. I normally use Dev-cpp for my stuff...so I'm more ANSI compatible, but my partner used msvc for all his NN code (I did the allegro stuff) and he did use some rather sloppy-ish code that led to hours of debugging on my part.

So I take it you're running under linux and can't get it to run?

My linux partition was recently hacked (thats what I get for running an old kernel) so I was planning on building/testing it this weekend.

Is there anyone who is running winows and can just test the included exe?

Don't worry, I haven't forgotenn our gcc* bretheren, I just have a boatload of finals to take tomorrow.
Rock on,
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Are you saying you have a backprop network trained to hit below 17? That doesn't sound too great... If it had leared its own threshold, then yeah, it would be a lot better. Anyways, I have too much homework to test that just now, sorry :)

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) { ... }
for (i = ...

is not a "terrible coding practice". It is legacy from the days before C++ was standardised. And yes, MSVC 6 accepts that code and rejects the 'correct' alternative.

If you use MSVC 6, or you think your users might, you can get around it with

#define for if (0) ; else for

Maybe the neural network also gauges what risk to take according to the other player's situation. I don't know the rules. :)

"19." "Hit me." "20." "Hit me." "21." "Hit me." "22."

"D'oh!"

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

A simplified Blackjack dealer. :)

#define dealer_limit      17
#define dealer_variance       2

if (dealer_variance)
  dealer_current_limit=dealer_limit+(rand()%(dealer_risk*2))-dealer_risk;
else dealer_current_limit=dealer_limit;

if (player_hand>dealer_hand) dealer_hit();
else if (dealer_hand<=dealer_current_limit) dealer_hit();
else dealer_pass();

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

Quote:

for ( int i = 0; i < 2; i++ ){
}
for ( i = 0; i < 3; i++ ){
}

There is nothing wrong with this. Since in C++ you can declare variables anywhere (doesn't have to be the first statements in a function). If you declare it again in the second for you get an error. It's really not a big deal.

========================================================
Actually I think I'm a tad ugly, but some women disagree, mostly Asians for some reason.

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

No, if it's in the for loop, it's only valid for the for loop. At least in standard C++.

Variable definitions are only valid for the block they are contained in, it doesn't matter if the block is a whole function or not. However, this is yet another differnt case, because the definition is somehow mangled into the for loop initialization. That's why it wasn't totally clear before the standardization -- you have to define what it is valid for.

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Guys, read his first post. The dealer doesn't use a neural network, is the other player who uses a neural network for tha AI. And it plays quite well. I played this last night and IIRC the dealer won 18, the NN AI won 36 and I won 38.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

The most notable hack I had to perform was changing

to this
temp = (int)( rand() % 52 );

The original was better.

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

Quote:

No, if it's in the for loop, it's only valid for the for loop.

A block is noted by { }, and since the initialization isn't inside the for loops { }, it's not part of the for loop.

Actually I think I'm a tad ugly, but some women disagree, mostly Asians for some reason.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Nope, the standard says that the variable declared there is only available inside the loop. gcc does that correctly, MSVC6 doesn't.

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Quote:

Doesn't it assume that RAND_MAX*52 fits in int range? It doesn't have to work if it's not true although idea is better than % operator.

Quote:

Nope, the standard says that the variable declared there is only available inside the loop. gcc does that correctly, MSVC6 doesn't.

And this code is perfectly fine: ;D

for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
  for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
    for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
      for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
        for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
          do_something_100000_times();

Quote:

things like passing NULL instead of 0 for player.hit()

This is fine for me. I know that you are supposed to use 0 in C++, but NULL is much more readable and it would be really surprising if NULL wasn't defined as 0. ;)

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

So since I use MSVC and do this the wrong way, will someone who tries to compile it using another get an error?

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Quote:

And this code is perfectly fine:

yup, the problem comes when you do this:

for (int i=0; i<10; i++)
    do_something();

for (int i=0; i<10; i++)
    do_something();

it should compile, but it doesn't with MSVC6.

Problem is, if you try this:

for (int i=0; i<10; i++)
    do_something();

for (i=0; i<10; i++)
    do_something();

Now it won't compile with mingw:

name lookup of `i' changed for new ISO `for' scoping
   using obsolete binding at `i'

Rick
Member #3,572
June 2003

sucks to be whoever tries to compile my programs not using MSVC6 :)

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

It seems that best solution is to just use:

int i;

for (i=0; i<10; i++)
    do_something();

for (i=0; i<10; i++)
    do_something();

:)

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Yeah, that's what I always do :)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Or, having read the thread like good little boys, you would have seen the#define for if(0); else for, Which causes the variable to be in it's own scope.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

What's wrong with my suggestion? Namely

#define for if (0) ; else for

Guys, stop flaming MSVC6. I assume it was released before the relevant C++ standard.

[EDIT]
CGames, have a ★ :)
(Poll: who can see that character? It's supposed to be a star. I see it in Mozilla but not in Konqueror.)

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

And this code is perfectly fine:

for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
do_something_100000_times();

That wouldn't kill MSVC6 because each one is in the next scope, right?

What I'm seeing is MSVC6 doing this:

{
/*scopeA*/

for(int x, ...) //x is a part of scopeA
{
/*scopeB*/
for(int y, ...){ /*scopeC*/} //y is a part of scopeB
}

}

Is that correct?

Quote:

yup, the problem comes when you do this:

for (int i=0; i<10; i++)
do_something();

for (int i=0; i<10; i++)
do_something();

it should compile, but it doesn't with MSVC6.

Well... true. Unless if you apply the patches that have been around for years. In which case, MSVC6 works fine with the exception of C99 support (which it never had to begin with). Unless I'm forgetting something.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Patches? News to me. Even less excuse for people to flame Microsoft! ;D

Boy will I be unpopular.

--
The brxybrytl has you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Its still way out of date. And is likely out of MSs support phase.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

Quote:

Well... true. Unless if you apply the patches that have been around for years. In which case, MSVC6 works fine with the exception of C99 support

Ah, the patches solve that? I know it fails with an unpatched MSVC, but I never tried it again, when I updated.

1   2 

Go to: